super hanc petram -- deep background
Monday, September 16, 2002
 
Snatching Defeat
My opposition to war with Iraq stands until I see or am convinced that others outside the administration have seen enough credible evidence that Saddam is an immediate threat to the US. It may well be that after invading we find such evidence, at which time I'll be happy to eat crow. My general opposition does come with some praise. I think W took a stong step towards reforming the UN. Would that it were for something more pressing for the world's needs than a boondoggle to finish of Daddy's Decade-old Dalliance. My praise is fleeting though for I'm sure that this effective pressing of the UN will not be used again and that once that body has given cover to the invasion, it will once again be shunted aside. Tom Friedman points out what is important about W's speech is that the world does care about and listen to what the US says. The UN is a body without a leader and could be extremely effective if given some direction by one other than a corrupt dictatorship. We have seen that the US can provide that leadership if it so chooses.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger