super hanc petram -- deep background
Friday, July 06, 2001
 
In a year that has produced a healthy amount of junk from Hollywood, Memento stands out as a suprising and fun exception. For those that haven't seen it, I highly reccomend dashing out this weekend if you can as it will probably not be in theatres much longer. The movie is based on a short story published in Esquire written by the screenwriter's [I think] brother. I've never had to concentrate so much in a theatre in my life. Moreover, I've never wanted to pay such close attention to a movie. I literally didn't want to tune out lest I miss the one clue that could help unravel the mystery.

Andy Klein does a great service for fans of the movie in writing this article. Though it provides few answers, his insights are valid and his chronology is extremely helpful. People continue to respond to his article with further questions and observations. My favorite, however, is:

"Memento" is a gimmick movie that has no soul. When you understand the general story and backward plot device the film becomes tedious. And then you reach the unsatisfying ending. As in the movie, "Memento" is forgettable five minutes later. ---Scott Dobson

Doesn't this clown remind you of every loser who feels himself intellectually superior to all things pop culture? Who the hell writes about a movie having a "soul". This idiot reminds me of David Kahane from The Player.

I've been trying to conclude for myself whether Leonard is faking. I have yet to sit down with Klein's synopsis and hash out the details, but I want to see at what points Leonard looks at his Sammy Jankis tattoo. To me, that seems the most likely evidence of Leonard being a fraud the way Sammy was. Of course, the ultimate twist is that you have to make decisions on your own as to whom you believe as no one in the movie is completely trustworthy. The movie will be a lot of fun on DVD.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger