super hanc petram -- deep background
Tuesday, November 21, 2000
 
Thanksgiving is a great holiday. I think the thing I like most about it is that there are no presents involved. Don't get me wrong, I love giving and receiving presents, but there is a certain amount of stress associated with the process, although I must commend Amazon.com for all their work in trying to make the gift shopping experience a little easier. Thanksgiving has the virtue of not having all that stress associated with it while still incorporating great food and general good cheer.

For me, the most trying part of the holiday will be getting home tomorrow. There's a flight that goes out of LaGuardia and into my home town, but LaG accounts for 20% of all the flight delays in the country. Because of that, I'm taking the earliest possible flight and hoping to beat the traffic on the busiest travel day of the year. Modern Humorist has a funny collection of Thanksgiving cards up right now, as well as some great paraphenalia regarding the brouhaha in Florida.

Their whole thing with Katherine Harris ("She seems open to reason") reminds of the movement Doonsebury started with this little piece of pen and ink. For anyone who saw Charlie's Angels, you'd appreciate Slate's take. "The CHAD is great.... the CHAD is great." Finally, as the spin machines whirl on and on in order to try and convince everyone who did and who should have done what in this election, I think David Greenberg's piece from October is a great reminder of how quickly the members of the media forget the events they covered, and how much they depend not the work of their own organizations either in the past or present, but on the prevailing wind of the moment. I'd like to see some more true investigative reporting out there rather than the constant peppering of pundits for the latest party lines.

I'm out of breath now.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger